What Is A Long Pulsed Yag Laser?
A long pulse laser is a type of laser that emits pulses of light with a longer duration than traditional short pulse lasers.
The laser energy is selectively absorbed by the deeper levels of the dermis and allows for treatment of deeper vascular lesions such as telangiectasia, hemangiomas and leg veins. The laser energy is delivered using long pulses which convert into heat in the tissue. The heat impacts the vasculature of the lesions.
What Should I Do Before My Treatment?
- Stay out of the sun and tanning beds for at least for 4 weeks or longer depending on how long you keep a tan after sun or tanning bed exposure.
- Avoid self- tanners or bronzers.
- Do not wax, pluck, have threading or electrolysis for at least 2-4 weeks prior to treatment (depending on the area being treated).
- Avoid medications that make your skin more sensitive such as aspirin, NSAIDs(anti-inflammatories), skin care products with alpha-hydroxy acids(AHA’s)
- Some people need medication to pre-treat and prepare their skin prior to having laser. This will be decided at your consultation.
What Should I Do After My Treatment?
- Avoid all sun or tanning bed.
- Avoid hot saunas or hot tubs immediately after treatment
- Avoid exfoliating the area treated and keep from putting creams and lotions not cleared by your healthcare provider.
- You can use ice to cool off the area treated and if instructed you may use a steroid cream to the affected area.
- Do not use any topical medications unless cleared by Liquid Luxury Aesthetics
- Do not apply make-up or sunscreens until directed by Liquid Luxury Aesthetics
When Will I See Results?
Depending on the depth of the treatment you may see results in a few days or it may take months for you to see more results. It can take several treatments to treat veins and depending on the area being treated, it may require 3-5 treatments to appreciate the best results.
Will I Have Downtime?
Typically, laser treatment to your veins does not give you “downtime” but you may notice the veins treated appear darker or even see bruising around the veins for 1-7 days on the face and for 1-3 weeks on the body, post treatment. The darkened veins or bruising is usually easily covered with makeup and typically the areas do not feel painful. The body gradually absorbs the blood from the vein, thus leaving clear skin. In many cases over the series of treatments you will see the size of the veins decreasing before they are completely “gone”.
Will Laser Treatment Of Mv Veins Hurt?
Most patients describe the treatment like a rubber snapping on their skin or a mild sunburn on the skin. To control the discomfort, we use ice, rarely is any topical numbing necessary but we can even inject local numbing to provide more comfort if necessary After the treatment that feeling of heat and sunburn will vary based on the depth of the treatment.
How Far Apart Are Treatments?
Typically, treatments are scheduled are 4-8 weeks apart and the time depends on the area being treated